In addition to celebrating its 60th anniversary in 2016, Phantom Regiment also celebrated its inaugural Hall of Fame inductees Oct. 15 at Giovanni’s Restaurant & Convention Center in Rockford, Ill.
The incredible accomplishments and success of Phantom Regiment over the past 60 years did not happen by chance. It took the hard work and dedication of hundreds of people. Until now, Phantom Regiment recognized those who have made a significant impact on the organization by adding their names to the “Heritage Plaque” and introducing them at the annual Show of Shows. To better honor them with a more traditional recognition, Phantom Regiment created the Phantom Regiment Hall of Fame during its 60th anniversary year.
In 2016, all 36 individuals whose names are on the Heritage Plaque were inducted into the Phantom Regiment Hall of Fame. The inaugural Hall of Fame induction banquet was held this past October with more than 80 people in attendance, including the inductees, their families, Phantom Regiment Alumni Association and Phantom Regiment board members and administration. Executive Director Rick Valenzuela served as master of ceremonies, while local Phantom Regiment member Kyle Jacobsen presented awards to each inductee.
During the awards presentations, Valenzuela said: “There are many things our inductees all envisioned during their time with the Phantom Regiment, but one honor that many of them probably never envisioned was being inducted into the Phantom Regiment Hall of Fame.”
The inaugural banquet was a fantastic night bringing so many important people to the organization together to celebrate.
Each inductee (or a surviving family member) received a beautiful Phantom Regiment Hall of Fame award. The Hall of Fame perpetual trophy on display at the Phantom Regiment headquarters, displays a replica of the individual award and also holds plaques displaying the name of each inductee.
The Phantom Regiment Hall of Fame committee decided there was no better group of people to induct in the inaugural class than those currently on the Heritage plaque. The committee is comprised of: Dan Richardson (chairman), Cindi Baumgartner, Dan Farrell, Tim Farrell, Barb Janowski, David Kisting, Ron Schulz, Rick Valenzuela and Jim Wren.
The inaugural class of Hall of Fame inductees was: (view photos of the 2016 Hall of Fame Banquet here):
- Alex Haddad – Founder of Phantom Regiment
- Dan Dever – Corps Director
- Bob Flynn – Corps Director
- Wilbur Comstock – Original Board of Directors
- Don Ary – First President, Board of Directors
- Bob Stolberg – Corps Director
- Bud Neff – Booster Club Founder
- Bob Kisting – President, Board of Directors
- Bob Lendman – First Executive Director
- Peg Stolberg – Corps Mom
- Marty Hurley – Percussion Designer and Instructor
- John Brazale – Color Guard, Visual Designer and Instructor
- Grant Davidson – Corps Director
- Doug Glasscoe – Corps Manager
- Sue Meier – Board of Directors
- Scott Hansen – President, Board of Directors
- Dan Richardson – First Program Coordinator
- Mark Glasscoe – Visual Instructor, Corps Director
- Ken Farrell – President, Board of Directors
- Michael Cesario – Program Advisor, Designer
- David St. Angel – Corps Director, Visual Instructor
- Norm Wheeler – Visual Designer, Instructor
- Jim Wren – Brass Arranger, Instructor
- Red Christensen – Personnel Director
- Bernie Koch – Original Board of Directors
- Helen Haddad – Corps Mom
- Kathy Vigna – President, Board of Directors
- Richard Wheeler – Brass Instructor
- Marian Armato Newcomer – First Brass Arranger
- Tim Farrell – President, Board of Directors
- Ron Schulz – Corps Director, Visual Instructor
- Ben & Marilyn Sandstrom – Phantom Regiment Cadet Directors
- Jeff Godtland – Brass Instructor
- Dan Farrell – Brass Instructor, Program Coordinator
- John Baumgartner – Corps Director
For more information on the Hall of Fame – visit regiment.org/hof