VIDEO AUDITION – COLOR GUARD
Thank you for your interest in the Phantom Regiment. As you are putting together your video audition, please take into account that we are looking not only for technical ability, but also passion, commitment, dynamic range, and expressive performance connection. Meaning, put 100% of you into your video audition. Let us see you shine through as your authentic individual self. And, let us see the music come through your routines.
Your video should include:
Your Name and Contact Info
Introduction: A brief (1-3 minute) spoken introduction to us from you, who you are, your background, your experience, and why you want to be a member of the Phantom Regiment Color Guard for the 2017 season.
- Begin with two technique exercises: one stationary and one that travels. Choose exercises that showcase your dance strengths and how you can articulate through the lower body, create varying shapes with your upper body, and involve your focus and performance.
- Then, you will need to show 30 seconds of movement choreography. This can be the phrase you learned from another audition. Make sure to include world class skills and think about how you can take up space.
- Begin with a few technique exercises as well as different tosses (doing several of each toss to show consistency). Please don’t do five minute of drop spins or peggy spins. We need to see world class technique combinations which involve body and equipment. Technique combos that travel are also encouraged.
- Then, please learn and video yourself performing this choreography from our audition. It’s important to see you picking up body qualities and understanding placement details. Strength and dexterity are also important.
Note: We will not be finalizing the weapon lines at the November Camp, but we WILL be spinning sabre and rifle. Know that we will be basing our November audition solely on movement and flag. Feel free (but it is NOT required) to include sabre and rifle on your audition video. If it is your desire to be seen on weapon, and considered later for the weapon line, it is a good idea to put a portion on your tape.
- Begin with a few technique exercises which involve body and equipment. Technique combos that travel are also encouraged. Then, we need to see tosses (for sabre both blade and hilt tosses). We are asking for you to show five quads, five fives, and five sixes without stopping your video at all. This means that you should not toss five quads, pause your video, then toss five fives, etc.
- Then, you will need to show 30 seconds of choreography on BOTH sabre and rifle. This can be the phrases you’ve learned at another audition. Choose choreography that shows your range of performance as well as any technical skills you can showcase.
Special Skills (show us if you can) if you have any special skills that might set you apart as a performer (i.e. gymnastic skills, other equipment skills).
This video replaces an entire weekend of work missed at camp – put a great deal of effort into this audition. Please upload the video on YouTube and make the link “unlisted” (so it is only visible to people with whom you share the link) and send the links in your email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank your interest! We look forward to viewing your video!