Phantom Regiment is searching for a Rockford Rhythm Director to lead all aspects of the Rockford Rhythm program to deliver the high quality education and performance opportunities for members, staff, and volunteers for the 2024 season.
This position’s primary responsibility is to oversee the Rockford Rhythm youth drumline and color guard program and execute weekly tasks required to operate effective recruitment, weekly rehearsals, and public performances.
The Rockford Rhythm Director will report to the Phantom Regiment Academy Director. This position works collaboratively with the CEO to determine community performance goals for the group and with the Operations Manager to execute weekly operation needs. All paid staff and volunteers of Rockford Rhythm will report to the Director.
This position has a tentative start date of February 1, 2024, with an open house recruiting event scheduled for March 2, 2024.
Direct Reports: Rockford Rhythm instructional staff (one color guard and one percussion)Status: independent contractor, part-time, March through October (8 months)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish educational objectives and performance goals for Rockford Rhythm
- Recruit and manage the instructional staff
- Recruit, instruct, and manage youth drumline and color guard members
- Teach drumline or color guard basics, i.e. warm-ups, cadences or routines, and marching techniques
- Additional opportunities to write or teach original music/work may apply
- Recruit parent volunteers to assist with performance day needs (carry banners in parades, help with equipment and uniforms, etc.)
- Work with local community members to arrange performance opportunities and secure rehearsal facilities
- Develop practice and performance schedules
- Collaborate with PR office staff to manage and maintain equipment and uniforms (request, repair and lend to students and track) and transport equipment to and from practice and performances.
- Maintain regular communication with parents and members
- Collaborate with the office staff to manage membership records, such as, emergency contact information, allergies, other commitments that may interfere with scheduling our programming
- Collaborate with PR office staff to manage social media and marketing needs
As the business evolves, so may this role. These duties may change as leadership identifies the need at any time
Knowledge and Skills
- Ability to work with youth between the ages of 12-18 in various stages of ability, beginner through advanced
- At least 3 years of leadership experience in a professional work environment
- At least 1 year experience in marching arts instruction or leadership preferred
- Experience as a drum corps instructor or in performing arts education a plus
- A broad professional network within the Rockford area community a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication, time management, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Passion for marching arts education
- Comfortable working with Google Office Suite, Slack, and other online data management applications
- Results-oriented team player with the ability to take the initiative and drive programs
- This position will operate mostly on weekends between February and October, with occasional periods of more intense work preparing for performances in the late spring and summer.
- This position will require approximately 4-5 hours per week (1-2 hours of administrative work + 2-3 hours of rehearsal per week); possibly more when performances are scheduled
- Residing in the Rockford/Northern Illinois region, or willing to relocate, is required
- Flexible work hours and remote working options with the ability to attend evening or weekend rehearsals, functions, and events
- Be able to work outdoors and indoors; exposure to sun, heat, cold and inclement weather
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and to handle other office equipment
- Ability to lift 40 lbs
- Phantom Regiment is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
- Interested applicants should submit contact information, along with a cover letter and resume (PDF preferred).
About Phantom Regiment
Phantom Regiment seeks to create an inspired community of empowered and passionate leaders by providing life-changing experiences through performing arts education. What started in 1956 as a local drum & bugle corps for youth in Rockford, Ill. has become an iconic brand known throughout the global marching arts community. Our programs teach young-people the essential skills necessary to become leaders in their communities, businesses, classrooms, and beyond.
About Rockford Rhythm
Rockford Rhythm is a youth drumline and color guard based in Rockford, Illinois. A program of Phantom Regiment, Inc., Rockford Rhythm is focused on introducing members to the joy of performing in the marching arts. Members learn performance skills for percussion or color guard and perform at local events.